This is a “call for collaboration”, from an anthropology PhD candidate, addressed to computer scientists.
Phenomenon and case study: cooperation network among «Civil Society» and «Social Economy» Organizations (CSSEOs) at the local level (province of Verona, Italy).
Potential for collaboration:
- the research focuses on interdisciplinary topics of complexity, networks, graphs and tackles sustainability problems from the social organization side;
- although there are now several tools, real-time web visualization of relational data is still a new industry with scope for improvement. A simple technology offering a good level of configuration has not yet emerged.
CSSEOs: are non-profit associations, cooperatives, social enterprises, citizens’ committees, ethical purchasing groups…
Problem: CSSEOs show difficulty in acting as a complex network, i.e. maintaining both autonomy and intercommunication.
Identified cause: lack of an appropriate model of the complex cooperation network.
Proposed solution: development of a representation tool, web-based, able to retrieve data from a DB and display it real-time according to graph theory.
Expected results: increase in self-organization → increase effectiveness in responding to environmental, economic, social sustainability issues.
Web based real-time network visualization
What we need:
- empower organization members with the ability of writing and updating data about cooperative relationships between groups (500 groups estimated);
- feed this data to a real-time (on browser) visualization tool which will draw the network in specific view modes;
- have all the process following directions from a web API, in order to be replicable.
What has been done:
Development of retebuonvivere.org website (started), based on Drupal (open source CMF); testing of some graphics libraries (cytoscape.js, D3.js).
Main repository: https://github.com/fonzy85vr/retebuonvivere
Personal page: http://www.dtesis.univr.it/?ent=persona&id=9228